Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Still hot as Hades!

Ko Phi Phi was good to us. We had some sun issues with the malaria pills. Crystal decided to go off hers until such time as we are in an area we really need to worry about it & I kept taking mine. My sun sensitivity wasn't as bad as hers, but it's still definitely making me more than I usually am! So I'm thinking about quitting them too, for now at least. We aren't in an area we need to worry.

We went down to the beach & then ended up back in our room pouring cold water all over ourselves. We ate lots of fruit & Crystal was mad about spring rolls for a bit. This kooky old lady had a stand & she would yell "10 baht, 10 baht Yoo Hoo Yoo Hoo" at everyone as they walked by. She was great. We got asked by a guy to go for beers, but refused. Went back to our room...still suffering the effects of the sun. We did a day out on a long tail boat. There was a couple from Vancouver Island on the boat with us. We went from our beach, to Shark Point & did some snorkelling - but didn't see any sharks. We went to Monkey Beach & hung out there for half an hour & did see some monkeys. Crystal got some great photos. Then we went to Bamboo Island & had lunch, we also went exploring, really strange rock formations,they kinda looked like lava rock. It was hot, our feet were burning b/c we forgot to take our flip flops on our little trek. Then we went to Maya Beach -the one from the movie The Beach. Hung out there for quite awhile. A stop at Viking Cave & then we sat on the boat & watched the sunset. And then it was quite windy & choppy for our ride back & we got entirely drenched. it was fun, really fun, but I could barely see because huge amounts of water kept smacking me in the face LOL. Crystal was hiding behind her sarong. Man, next trip I take I NEED to have one of those waterproof cameras because that would have been a great photo!!! We arrived back & went to our room,grabbed food along the way & mellowed out. The next morning we did the hike up to the Viewpoint where you can see all of the town that we were staying in. It was a 45min hike, in the heat & humidity & we were both thinking how we are in horrible shape. On the way up there was a bit of a sign to another beach, so we headed back down that way. Rantee Beach. It was quite the trek down the mountain. But the beach was cute, small & quiet, the people working there were really nice. But it was a bit buggy, ended up with some bites. And then when we headed back to our side of the island we were chased by mossies practically the whole trek thru the jungle! We got back, had showers & then went into town & grabbed some food & went to a place where they do "pedicures" with fish. You stick your feet into a big tank & hundreds of little fish nibble your feet, toes & legs & they are supposed to nibble all the dead skin off. LOL It was wild. It didn't work anything like a real pedicure, but was well worth the 150 baht to have the experience!

We have seen a few people who bring their pet monkeys to town with them, as well as the very scary families on mopeds, motorbikes & bicycles that ride along with their babies hanging on for dear life off the back. It seems so scary to us, but no one bats an eye here.

Our final morning was a slow going one, we ate breakfast, played some cards, put our bags in storage & headed out. Spent a bit of time online & then grabbed some food, rented a couple chairs & hung out in the shade for a couple of hours. Crystal slept & I read. Then we went & gathered our things & hopped on the ferry. Nicest one we've been on. Had some trouble out in the ocean, they think we hit a shark, so they stopped & dove under to check?! Crazy. We got here to Ao Nang in Krabi & got settled into our room. There was some confusion & our first night we had A/C instead of a fan room. So posh! Then we went wandering around. It's cute here, quiet on our little strip. Ended up at a restaurant on the beach having Pad Thai & a storm blew in & it was raining buckets & windy like mad. So we waited it out & when it seemed to mellow we headed back to our room. Only to have it come back & start to dump on us so we found some cover & waited until the next slow down & we made it back to our room during that trickle.

Yesterday we got up late & had breakfast & went down to the beach. Only the tide was way out & still receding, so the beach didn't look so tempting. We ended up chilling out on a bench in the shade beside the beach. I read, Crystal took some photos. She ate Pringles & I ate half a pinapple. :) And then we walked the strip. Further than we had the night before & it gets really busy & happening a little further on! We found a Hagaan Daas & had some overpriced ice cream & then stopped at a McDonalds because Crystal had a hankering for Broccoli Pie. I grabbed some Papaya. I was having an off day. The heat & not getting any sleep. So we headed back to our room. We watched Dirty Dancing on the Iphone & then went to bed. Today we spent the morning indoors. Late start, late brunch, then Crystal updated her journal & I read. Finished my book. My first Ann Rice book, courtesy of Miriam, so now I'm seeing ghosts everywhere! :) lol Now we're out & about. Off to see more of town & I'm hoping to call Spyros tonight & have a little chat. Crystal & I worked it out - the calling cards here are nuts - 33 cents a minute!!! What a rip off! So mom & dad & Spyros - forgive me when I don't call so often, but it's a little ridiculous!

One more full day here & then we're off to Ko Samui for a whole week!!

6 comments:

  1. Broccoli Pie at McD\'s? Weird! Hope you girls have captured a few of the sunsets out there. I\'ve seen some beautiful shots and it\'s not hard when you\'re on the coast at sundown. mmm...padthai. Good that you\'re both getting some down time so you can fully enjoy it out there :-) hugs-char

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha - I am so on the same page as Char... the broccoli pie thing really stuck out to me too!! Ha... I enjoy your descriptive blog... the choppy boat ride sounded fun! I understand that you can\'t phone... just try and keep this blog up as much as possible so I know your safe... You had no posts on facebook since the 11th & I kind of freaked out until I checked this thing!! Keep up the good work - love you - say Hi to Crystal! Have FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carseats! LOL... broccoli pie stands out too... but babies on motorbikes??? Haha... so different from here that\'s for sure... Sounds like you are having a great time. I\'ve seen the fish pedicure on a travel channel show... cool that you tried it out. If you are staying somewhere for a couple days don\'t they have phones?? I checked my 50 countries that I can call on my long distance plan and Thailand was one of them I think it\'s 4 cents a minute on mine... couldn\'t you email your mom a number so she could call you if her\'s is similar?? Just a thought that might not work with hostiles and such. Can\'t wait to see all the photos... I signed up for New York Institute of Photography\'s online professional photography program... pretty excited about it... Ben\'s busy, busy, busy... Dad had him for a while today... some good stories for another time!! Hope you keep having a great time... Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, it was just like Apple pie - but not. And it turned out to not be such a good idea. she wasn;t loving it LOLWe have some pics, but there are plenty more to come, seems on our little cameras that catching that red glow isn\'t happening so easily!Our hotels haven\'t had a phone we can use yet. But it could happen in the future. We\'ll see. Mom could just realize that I am 27 & it\'s ok. It\'s not like it\'s been weeks or months.That\'s exciting Kim! I hope you love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eww... gross... I was picturing a quiche or something... brocolli pie literally... uck! I can\'t wait to be taking amazing sunset photos... as soon as I learn how to use my camera to do it justice! I can\'t wait to see all of your pictures when you finally get here! LOL - that was a little harsh... you are 27, but you still lived with them recently, still talk regularly here... you can\'t jump to another country that\'s not particularly safe for woman travelling alone and cut her off... she\'s your momma! And she\'s a worry wort like all good momma\'s... I know you\'ll try to keep her updated... too bad about not having phones... the things I take for granted here I guess... I hope I love it too... impatiently waiting for packages from New York sucks... damn snail mail takes forever!!! Ben signed "more" yesterday... about six different times... the kid loves food! LOL... oh and Violet started crawling yesterday... Chantal called all excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. merry christmas, hope u guys are haven a awesome time. take care.

    ReplyDelete