Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fires are burning...

Other than knitting not a whole lot has been going on! We did go to that birthday party - had lamb on the spit & many other things! I met a bunch of new people, the birthday boy had some fun I think!

We've been planning a garden but it hasn't happened just yet. The biggest thing that's been going on is that there have been so many bush fires all around the state. It's pretty terrible just how many and how big they are, also how many homes have been obliterated. It's made for some really strange skies and terrible air to breathe as well.

Smokey skies over Marrickville

Bizzare juxtaposition in the sky



This weekend just past we worked on Saturday and Spyros had soccer after that, but yesterday we went to HomeWorld in Kellyville! We went with our friends and it was a lot of fun to wander around the kit homes to see what was out there. I've always loved wandering around homes, new homes, different homes, seeing what is different, what I like, what I hate, how they are decorated. We didn't even get through a third of the homes!

We went for a late lunch afterwards and I saw an orange pumpkin!! We were far from home though, so we're planning to get a couple this week. I want to carve a pumpkin dang it! We're going to a "Fancy Dress" party. Which, to me in Canada would mean black tie type of thing, but here it means a costume party. It's one of Spyros' mates 40th birthday and the theme is "M" so everyone has to dress up with an M idea. We ordered our costumes, so now we wait, the party is next weekend. Just before my birthday so I'll pretend it's a little bit for me (AND I'll pretend it's a Halloween party so that it feels more like home!).

Needles:

I am finished my sweater!!! It is the Lapis Yoke by Hannah Fettig using SMC Northern Worsted 75% Acrylic, 25% Wool in Grape. The needles are 5mm (8US) 5.5mm (9US). I completed it this year which was my goal, the yarn is ok, it's very comfortable and blocking did help a bit. It's got a major acrylic content so I'll definitely be going UP from here, but I also didn't want to spend a ton of money on yarn when I didn't know if I would ruin it LOL.  

Mini photo shoot

I finished my Spunky Eclectic - 100% Targhee in the Gold Digger Colourway that I won in a Nimblestix giveaway. Spun up and plied on my Highland Handmades spindle. It ended up being a 2ply, Worsted, 182 yards after washing. I really love it. It's going to be a cowl or a toque, not sure which just yet!

Love my gold!
I am making pretty good progress on my On Your Toes Socks by Ann Budd and I am absolutely loving the way the ribbing hugs my feet! I am still not crazy about the toe, but it's OK. I think I will try the more rounded toe next sock as a change! The yarn is Knitter's Nightmare Batty Sock in the Demon Barber colourway (which is Sweeney Todd inspired!) I turned the heel - I used the Fish Lips Kiss Heel for the first time and I really like it a lot. No wraps & turns, no holes, seems to fit great too - the pattern is only $1 on Ravelry! I want to try the OMG heel still, but I do really like this FLKH!

 
Fish Lips Kiss Heel


I began some gauntlets, the Sky Blue by Star Athena for my sister! However, I started them two at a time and the pattern is opposite. I thought it was too much to keep straight. So I pulled out one of them and I have just been sitting on the first mitt because the chart was daunting at the time. I didn't feel like something I had to pay so much attention to. No picture yet because it's just a cuff.
 
I started the Black Mamba by Rachel Frank I couldn't find the right size of beads and so far I am not loving how it's turning out. I keep trying different needle sizes to make it work, but maybe I need thicker yarn!? I strung the beads onto the yarn which was a new skill for me! One of my goals for 2013 was knitting with beads!


No progress on my Sock Yarn Blanket by Shelly Kang. The needles are 2.75mm (2US) and I am doing 44sts. I finished up the socks, and found a mini skein, so I have to add those. I sent off some mini skeins for a SWAP, but am waiting to be sent some. I haven't worked on this since this photo... but I do have 2 more squares to do!
 

Same old, same old

Fitness:

I am on Week 4 of Zombies. There hasn't been a lot of regular running with the air quality the way it has been. My lungs struggle enough - I am not going to put them through that kind of poison! It's fun though, I know quite a few people who are also doing it which always helps. It's kinda nice to have a cheering squad while going along. At this point I run the final 15min without stopping - which is an achievement considering where I was a few weeks ago! 

I've been doing ok. Not as awesome as I was in the past - but I have been doing at least 3 workouts a week, 4 or 5 usually. The eating is not as clean as it should be, but right now I am taking any and all consistency as forward motion dang it! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment