Friday, April 24, 2009

Exciting?!

Hello All!

 

So today I drove in England for the first time!!! Tony had to drop off a vehicle somewhere so I drove behind him in the van. It took me awhile to get the silly thing in reverse because it is a 6 speed. I thought I needed to push it down to get it into Reverse, but it was as easy as a little slidey bit. :) And then the drive. It's Miles per hour here, so everything is a little faster. Kinda like driving in the US. But on top of that the first part of my journey was a little rough, getting used to a new shift pattern & shifting with my wrong hand!!! But I got that down after a few tries! Good thing that the first road I was on wasn't a really busy road. LOL Once I had the shifting down, it was just like I was 16. The far side of my vehicle was so foreign to me, and it was hard for me to realize where it was, and judge distance. I spent A LOT of time checking my mirrors making sure I was in the middle of the lines, or, since half of England is skinny bloody goat trails, making sure I wasn't on the grass verge! (shoulder). When a car would be coming my direction I was a bit nervous...but it was about a 25min drive & everyone survived. No dings or scratches, no mishaps, and now I'm not as nervous. Of course I would be more comfortable driving a smaller vehicle on these itty bitty roads! But I did it! I'm pretty stoked about that, seems silly to people who have driven all over. But the driving on the other side of the road thing, that wasn't hard at all - that part didn't worry me & I had no problem remembering which side to be on!

 

Tonight we had Chinese take-out. And tomorrow I am headed to Lincoln for some lovely pictures & sightseeing. I also hope to get my mobile up & working. Will keep you updated!

2 comments:

  1. I am still trying to remember to check this hotmail out. I tend to forget and you have already had such an adventure. Don\'t you wish the security at airports and borders were more diligent about the real "terrorists" or "moochers" of the world who come and go at leisure. Us trusting souls can\'t figure out why anyone would think "we" would be doing anything but what we say we are going to do. I\'d be lost drivng a standard---never done before and then to use my other hand--wow!! You are sure going with the flow and sounds like you are able to get some connections--how perfect to go to the Globe---and get a special tour. Keep connecting and one can only imagine where it will lead. It isn\'t any warmer here in Edm---spring has decided to come slow. Chilly and even some snow!!! More in Calgary--but they deserve it...LOL. Bought a new Nissan Rogue a week ago--love it. Trying to figure out the Satellite radio so having fun driving it. Don\'t know if you remember Cassandra from Inside Sales in Edm branch-her last day was yesterday. She is moving back to GP coz she can\'t afford to stay in Edm with her 2 kids. Her EX is not giving her support so she can\'t make it here. Sad to see her go--she was like you---a smart cookie and fun to work with. Layoffs around SFI---even in the branches. I heard Adrienne from FSJ was let go---I think you worked with her. That leaves Candace the one that replaced you. I\'d miss the H2O as well--not a coffee or tea person so it would be weird to have tea all the time. But you go with the flow in new surroundings. Your accommodations sound great--helping out and enjoying the new customs. Hope you get to stay for alot longer. keep up the blogging...fun to keep up with your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shelle!! I\'m so proud of you! Driving in Europe! - Does Chinese food taste the same in England?? lol - just kidding! - Keep up the good blogging! So great to see what your up to! - Rocky & Daisy are gone to be "real" cow horses in Williams Lake now (yesterday) ... :( I hope they gets lots of TLC with their new family! - Love you. XO Mom

    ReplyDelete